Flicorno d'Oro rules
24th International Band Competition
Riva del Garda, 22-24 March 2024
Associazione Flicorno d'Oro
Corpo Bandistico Riva del Garda
Trentino Bands Federation
5 CATEGORIES are foreseen:
- EXCELLENCE CATEGORY
- SUPERIOR CATEGORY
- FIRST CATEGORY
- SECOND CATEGORY
- THIRD CATEGORY
and out of competition:
- OPEN CATEGORY
The competition is open to all kind of bands regardless of the number of their musicians. The bands must be composed of amateurs, but each band can have professional musicians in a number not exceeding 10% of the total number of the ensemble members. Under professional musicians is to understand teachers of Conservatory, Music School or Academy and orchestra or music band players with a contract of at least 12 months. The Organizer is entitled to check the identity of each band member at any time during the whole competition. The responsibility for each declaration regarding the participants is up to the president of the association / band.
Only wind and percussions instruments or instruments requested in the score are allowed. Every change to the written band instrumentation must be submitted to the Artistic Direction.
Each band in competition must perform:
the chosen category compulsory piece on a original score
- EXCELLENCE CATEGORY: Jan van der Roost | COLORES | De Haske | 14'00
- SUPERIOR CATEGORY: Thomas Doss | THE STONE GUARDIANS | Oktavian | 15'40
- FIRST CATEGORY: Luciano Feliciani | THE RISE OF THE QUETZAL | Scomegna Edizioni | 09'30
- SECOND CATEGORY: Michele Mangani | NOVEM | Eufonia Edizioni | 08'00
- THIRD CATEGORY: Angelo Sormani in memoriam | WINTER TOUR | Scomegna Edizioni | 08'15
a piece of own choice from the list published HERE. Pieces, that do not occur on this list must be submitted to the Artistic Direction.
Preceding its contest performance each band is entitled to play a warm-piece not exceeding 3 minutes, which will not be evaluated by the jury.
Bands taking part in the category Excellence – must perform a programme - including the warm-up, the compulsory piece and the piece of own choice – with an effective playtime of a maximum of 45 minutes and their stay on the stage must not exceed 50 minutes.
Bands taking part in the categories Superior and First – must perform a programme - including the warm-up, the compulsory piece and the piece of own choice – with an effective playtime of a maximum of 40 minutes and their stay on the stage must not exceed 45 minutes.
Bands taking part in the categories Second and Third – must perform a programme - including the warm-up, the compulsory piece and the piece of own choice – with an effective playtime of a maximum of 30 minutes and their stay on the stage must not exceed 35 minutes.
A penalty is foreseen for those who exceed the time allowed.
The jury secretary has a stopwatch and will check the time between the first musician on the stage and the last musician leaving the stage.
The enrolment fee is Euro 400- for each participating band and doesn’t include the scores of the compulsory piece and the piece of own choice; the fee must be sent to
VIALE DELLA LIBERAZIONE 7
38066 RIVA DEL GARDA TN
Our bank details:
CASSA RURALE ALTO GARDA
VIA DAMIANO CHIESA 10/A
38066 RIVA DEL GARDA TN
IT BBAN V 08016 35320 000002145971
EU IBAN IT76 V080 1635 3200 0000 2145 971
Codice BIC CCRTIT2T04A
by 30 November 2023 together with the application form and the following documentation:
- an artistic biography of the band;
- the artistic curriculum of the conductor;
- a recent recording;
After the official confirmation and until 15 February 2024 the registration must be completed with:
- a photo of the band (possibly lined-up as for a concert) as an .jpg file;
- 5 (five) original copies only of the score of the piece of own choice (3 copies of each piece only in the open Category). The organizers will not be held responsible for photocopied scores. After the competition, four original scores will be returned to the bands, a copy will be kept by the organizers;
- a stage plan of the band with number of chairs and music stands in each row.
Before 7 March 2024 one must send:
- registration of each musician with personal data and the instrument played (MUSICIAN FORM will be sent you per mail). Please advise if any musician plays as professional.(REGISTRATION FORM).
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
- The order of performances within the category will be determined by the Artistic Direction on the base of technical and organizational or artistic reasons.
- A conductor is not allowed to conduct more than one band in the same category, while a band can be conducted by two different conductors. A conductor is allowed to conduct two bands only if these are competing in different categories. The members of a participating band are not allowed to perform in other formations taking part in the competition in the same category.
- Any change regarding the musicians will be taken into consideration by the Artistic Direction and by the President of the jury only if communicated in writing at the latest before the beginning of the competition (22 March 2024).
- If the number of participants in a single category is not sufficient, the organizers may cancel that category.
- All rights of further use of films, videos, photographs and sound recordings taken during the competition are reserved to the organizers.
- The organizers are not responsible for any accident to persons or things during their journey or during the competition.
- Travel and accommodation costs are at the expense of the participating bands. In occasion of the Flicorno d’Oro our Association has reached an agreement with some hotels that offer special rates compared to the currently quoted price list. The hotels are informed about the competition program and are able to meet all your needs. If you book your stay through the travel agency Onthego you will be entitled to some advantages, which include free entrance to the competition.
- The jury is composed of internationally recognized band music experts.
- Each performance will be given a maximum of 100/100 points by each member of the jury assessed by the following criteria:
- TuningThe jury will also judge the conduction separately. The task of the jury is subjected to internal rules.
- Quality and balance of the sound
- Technique and articulation
- Rhythmic and ensemble playing
- Dynamics and phrasing
- The judgement of the jury is to be considered final and no appeal can be made.
- If a band exceeds the maximum performance time allowed and/or its stay on stage, 0,01 points will be deducted from the final score for each extra second.
- The bands which are not present at the established time without any valid justification will be excluded from the competition.
- The results will be announced at the end of the Competition.
For the open category the jury will give a written judgement by the following criteria: tuning, quality and balance of the sound, technique and articulation, rhythmic and ensemble playing, dynamics and phrasing, interpretation. The participation in this category involves also an assignment judgement, so that bands can recognize their level in comparison with the five Flicorno d’Oro categories. No prizes are foreseen in this category.
- a) In each of the following categories a score classification will be drawn up. The band with the highest score will be awarded the title of category winner and will be given the price consisting in instruments provided by Yamaha Music Europe for the following value:
- Excellence Category | Euro 4.000
- Superior Category | Euro 3.500
- First Category | Euro 3.000
- Second Category | Euro 2.500
- Third Category | Euro 2.000
- the second and third prize winner will receive instruments for the following value:
- Excellence Category | Euro 1.500
- Superior Category | Euro 1.250
- First Category | Euro 1.000
- Second Category | Euro 750
- Third Category | Euro 600
- Excellence Category | Euro 1.000
- Superior Category | Euro 750
- First Category | Euro 600
- Second Category | Euro 500
- Third Category | Euro 400
- All bands will receive a participation certificate;
- The band with the highest score over 90/100 points will be awarded the overall Flicorno d’Oro trophy.
- The organisers may award further prizes for outstanding performances or for conductors with particular artistic skills.
- At the end of the competition procedures, the jury president and the artistic director will meet the president and the conductors (or their representatives) of the participating band for a greeting, for the delivery of the scores and for the awards ceremony information. In case of absence, the organization of the competition will send the material at the expense of the band self.
- The presence of two representatives for each participating band is required at the award ceremony, they will receive the certificate of participation, the scorecard for each piece and criterion, and any prizes. In case of absence, the organization of the competition will send the material at the expense of the band self.